My first encounter with the African River Goddess of love Oshun was rather interesting.
I was at a “bembe” or gathering with heavy beating drums and food galore all about. Suddenly there was a slight commotion in one of the rooms at this event and somehow found my way in the middle of all of it.
Everyone was surrounding this rather tough talking woman (giggling at the same time) when she abruptly & sternly called me over ,”Tu muchahca! ven aca” ( You girl! come here.) my heart was pounding as I was meeting for the first time this wonderful goddess using an unknown person as a vessel for possession & communication.
The woman slowly and seductively started pouring honey into her mouth and drank a glass of water and “SPLAT”!
Literally spit all the honey and water that was in her mouth onto my face.
I didn’t know what to think or how to react when that happened. I had so many mixed emotions all instantly come up at the same time. I was embarrassed yet relieved at the same time. I really can’t explain it but, that was my first encounter with this love goddess.
With the 15+ years that have passed since that experience, Oshun has become my ally. Every time I think back to that moment I came face to face with her waters, I realize what she was trying to tell me, without actually telling me.
She has taught me the value of family, relations, friendships and pain when we neglect ourselves.
My home is my temple. It is truly my place of refuge from the world where I feel complete and safe.
Oshun is at the head of my home and the goddess I leave all my worries to. She makes sure my home is protected, abundant and peaceful, never lacking but rather always overflowing.
If you would like to also invite that loving energy of Oshun into your home check out below this beautiful and sweet smelling offering/ ritual to help you connect with this Goddess.
What You Will Need & Why
- Cinnamon Powder + Cinnamon Sticks : Associated with the element of fire, Cinnamon helps clear your mind as well as ground your energy. Sprinkle onto your offering to bring stagnant energy into motion and set your intent on “fire”.
- Honey: Calming & cooling effect to the offering. Oshun’s favorite food you can never go wrong with a little honey.
- Cloves: Associated with the planet Jupiter (planet of luck), use in ofering to attract money, opportunities and abundance in general. Repels negative energy from your home.
- Brown Paper: Use to write down your intention or wishes. Brown paper is ideal as it represents the earth element (think trees, dirt). Helps ground your wish and intent.
- Pencil: Lead in most pencils provides an added element. It provides your intent/wish with longevity and protection from negative thoughts aimed at your goal/ wish or intention.
This spell will root you and your family to your values and everyday foundations to life. Oshun is very maternal and a fierce protector of families.
This spell can be left out on your altar or sacred space for 3-5 days or depending on how quickly your offering begins to build mold. Once done, you can throw away in your garbage or take to the woods and provide to a tree as an offering.