We all deal with stress in our daily lives and most of the time our mind, body and spirit take a beating and a back seat as a result. Prioritizing my well being in such a hectic world has become a topic of much attention for me lately. As I get older I realize that the quality of my life is just as important as the quantity of life I strive to live for. Below are some of my recent life prioritizations to combat daily stress and fatigue.
Sleep is a must for me and feel the effects it has on me almost immediately when I don’t get enough nightly. I try my best to get at least 8-9 hours of sleep and schedule a lot of things around my sleep schedule (yes, its that important to me). When I’m deprived of sleep I deal with a lot of mood swings and lack of concentration. Lack of rest leads also to anxiety, depression and a host of health issues. Making sure you rest allows your body to heal and regenerate overnight.
My Sleep Tight Tips
- No television in my bedroom and electronics are kept far away from my bed as possible.
- Use my Amethyst stone which helps deal with insomnia and restlessness
- Clean, Plush and Comfortable bedding and sleep environment
- Sleep maintains a healthy immune system, glowing skin and refreshed feeling
- To help fall sleep faster make sure to relax at least 30 mins before bed (drink non caffeinated tea, warm bath, read a book)
Staying conscious and on top of my health through the foods I eat can be a struggle but with a little organization and regimen I’ve managed to cut out a lot of processed foods while replacing with whole foods. Drinking water has perhaps been the most noticeable health decision I made for myself years ago and a habit I’ve kept through to today. My skin, hair, and digestion look and feel so much better since keeping hydrated. Sugar has also been on my radar, although far from elimination stage, still making progress.
My Health Tips
- Breakfast: I make sure I have breakfast every morning. Co workers at the office know when I have not had breakfast as it makes me cranky, anxious and unable to concentrate. A balanced breakfast is key to give me energy and maintain it throughout the day.
- Juicing: Green juice recipes is a great way to add a boost of vitamins and minerals you wouldn’t normally get from your daily meals. Juices are great as you can make one quickly for those on the run days or a mid afternoon pick me up.
- Exercise: I cannot even begin to tell you how important regular exercise has been to my life. I recently joined an all women’s gym and have been attending many classes from Pilates, Yoga and strength training and love how I feel. I’m not as active since I have a desk job and drive everywhere so an hour 3-4 times a weeks helps keep me active and energy flowing.
- Supplements: Although I make sure to get as many nutrients as possible from the foods I eat, I typically add supplements for good measure. I like adaptogens which are specifically made to combat stress, like Ashwhaghanda, Ginko and Spirulina.
Mind and Spirit go hand in hand with me. Giving thanks for the things I have and even don’t have daily reminds me of how fortunate I am to have the two things I previously mentioned, a place to live and a means to nourish myself. One thing a stressful day can not take away from you is a grateful heart. Giving thanks to yourself and the people and things around you that inspire you is all one needs on a daily basis.
Daily Spiritual Rituals
- Meditation & Breathing: Every morning I take at least 5 full minutes to sit at my altar and just breathe. Preparing yourself for the day by simply focusing on your breath not only rids my lungs of stagnant air but also clears my mind before I reach for my phone and start the day.
- Affirmations: Positive affirmations is a great way to attract the things you’re working toward. Words carry energy and vibrations and when you repeat positive words into the universe you awaken the power within you. Affirmations such as “I am powerful” “I attract love”, etc. can help steer you toward a positive outlook at the start of your day.
- Aura Baths: One of my favorite rituals to relieve stress. Sometimes we accumulate and absorb all sorts of energies from our environments. An aura bath can help you recharge and refresh your energy from feeling sluggish and heavy.
- Incense: Purifying your space regularly of unwanted energy by smudging with sage or any incense of choice is a great way to shift the energy in your space, especially negativity.